The 9th edition of the ELSEDIMA International Conference celebrated the 10th anniversary of the Faculty of Environmental Science and Engineering. The organizers of the conferences were:
- “Babeş-Bolyai” University of Cluj-Napoca – Faculty of Environmental Sciences and Engineering
- Ministry of Administration and Interior - General Inspectorate for Emergency Situations
- Disaster Preparedness and Prevention Initiative for South – Eastern Europe DPPI SEE
- S.C ICPE Bistriţa S.A.
The event gathered 240 participants from Romania and from abroad. The foreign participants were representatives of universities, research institutes and organizations from 12 countries: UK, Italy, Norway, Belgium, Croatia, Hungary, Turkey, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Albania and the Republic of Moldova).
During the 3 days of the conference, there were presented 181 papers:
- Plenary lectures: 3
- Presentations: 76
- Posters presentations: 102
- Others: 1 field trip (27 October 2012: Presentation of national critical infrastructure elements existing in Cluj County (Someşul Cald Valley) in energy sector, electric power subsector.)
The papers presented during the conference were published in peer-reviewed journals:
- Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, ISI Journal, IF 1.435
- Carpathian Journal of Earth and Environmental Sciences, ISI Journal, IF 1.579
- Advances in Environmental Sciences - Bioflux Society, BDI CABI indexed, CNCSIS B+ Journal
- Studia Ambientum, “Babes-Bolyai” University, BDI indexed Journal
Day 1 focused on the presentation of hazards involved in the industrial operations, and the measures taken to reduce these risks.
The opening ceremony was held by:
- Acad. Prof. PhD. Ioan Aurel Pop, Rector of the “Babes-Bolyai” University
- Pr. Prof. Dr. Ioan Chirilă, President of the Senate of “Babes-Bolyai” University
- Ivana Ljubojevic, Head of Secretariate Disaster Preparedness and Prevention Initiative for South-Eastern Europe
- Lt. Col. Francisc Senzaconi, Ministry of Administration and Interior, General Inspectorate for Emergency Situations
- Prof. PhD. Eng. Alexandru Ozunu, Dean of the Faculty of Environmental Science and Engineering, “Babes-Bolyai” University
The opening ceremony was followed by three plenary lectures by invited lecturers. After the plenary lectures, the presentations further developed in parallel sessions.
The second day focused on understanding the climate change challenges through atmospheric modelling and monitoring processes; risks associated to contaminated sites and remediation strategies; international and national policies and regulations regarding critical infrastructure; approaches for improving safety and reducing risks; renewable energies – public awareness and feasible solutions.
The third day of the conference was dedicated to a field trip on the Someşul Cald Valley, approaching the following topics:
- Local authorities preparedness in Gilau commune regarding the hydrotechnical accidents in case of dam failure
- Critical infrastructure elements in Someşul Cald Valley as potential risks to community safety
The event was considered to be a remarkable visit card for the Faculty of Environmental Science and Engineering within the “Babeş-Bolyai” University of Cluj-Napoca and a platform for launching scientific cooperation and exchange between universities, research centres, companies, governmental and non-governmental organizations working in the field of environmental protection.
You can download the following data: